After much pressure from my not so subtle interpeeps (Dave), I need to pay homage to my daughter's Sweet Sixteen Surprise Party! The great thing is, it actually was a surprise. How do I know? Minutes before the great reveal, Victoria was barking at me for nagging her about her wardrobe selection for the evening (an evening which she believed to involve picking Mike up from the airport and a "family dinner"--so jeans and a t-shirt). I knew that she had no idea of the festivities from the "i hate mom" look I received seconds prior to the surprise and then the contrasting "i love you mom" look I received seconds after she processed the surprising jolt. FYI...One is able to achieve maximum mood swings only from one turning "sweet" sixteen as the love/hate threshold is most thin. After she saw that all her friends where dressed in cute sundresses, we held the limo so she could dash in the house to make a wardrobe change (her choice this time, and there was a noticeable change in mom's ability to pick a winner), but it was her party and the limo could wait!
But we did pull it off.
Waiting outside was a deliciously tacky H2 Hummer limo, equipped
with cheetah suede and leather seats, star twinkle lights, recessed track lighting, a
few sodas in an ice bucket, and a strobe light which flashed a laser beam into my unsuspecting eyes blinding me temporarily. It was AWESOME! Our pimped out ride took us first down to Forest Park where we rode the paddle boats around the lake (great fun), then to Cheesecake Factory for dinner, and finally to Ted Drew's for custard (St. Louis' answer to the DQ
Blizzard). One thing I found to humor myself as the only adult in the place, was watching people as they passed by trying to see what very famous important person was inside the darkened windows
...I am sure they all imagined we were P.Diddy or Nelly headed out to make a new music
video, but no, it was just us. We did make a CD with songs dedicated by her friends and family
that we listened to as we drove around town which was really neat (thanks Sherry for the idea),
and played Molly Ringwald's "Sixteen Candles" on the flat screens. As we drove home
from Ted Drew's we were caught in a wicked St. Louis storm with hail and lightning and rain like I have never seen. We literally had to stop on the highway because the rain and hail was so bad. As we inched our way through the storm, the lightning cracked and hit a tree right by the highway, sending flames into the air. The kids thought it was scary and awesome all at the same time. I was just glad I didn't have to pay for hail damage for that stretch Hummer!! That would have been a Humm-dinger!!
1 comment:
Looks like such a fun party! I just tagged you. Check out my blog for details.
Post a Comment